Generally when people think of solar energy they think of large panels mounted on rooftops or mountains and all year round sunshine.
However, solar energy is so much more than modern technology & exotic climates. The sun has been around since the beginning of time and solar energy is accessible for everyone.
People have realised the value & benefits of natural sunlight for thousands of years and have used it for all kinds of purposes. Here are seven interesting facts about solar energy that you may not of known.
- Solar energy is a renewable energy source that is derived from direct radiation from sunlight.
- Sunlight travels over 93 million miles from the sun to earth in just over eight minutes.
- Solar energy is cleaner, more efficient & fully renewable in comparison to fossil fuels such as oil, coal & gas which cannot be used again.
- As stocks of fossil fuels deplete rapidly, solar energy is being recognised as the number one source of alternative energy in the future.
- Solar energy can be turned into thermal energy to heat things home water tanks, boilers & outdoor swimming pools.
- Solar energy systems can still generate power even on cloudy days by collecting scattered amounts of sunlight.
- Every homeowner who installs a solar energy system receives a guaranteed 100% return as a result of saving on normal electricity bills.